"And every day, in the temple and at home, they ceased not to teach and to preach Jesus as the Christ."
ARE YOU BUILDING ON?
Christ is the foundation rock on which we build
“For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.” 1Cor.3:11
Six foundational doctrines that need to be in place so we can go on to maturity
“Therefore, leaving the discussion of the elementary principles of Christ, let us go on to perfection, not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God, of the doctrine of baptisms, of laying on of hands, of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.”
1. Repentance from dead works – have a change of mind, turn away from sin, toward God.
“for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God” Rom.3:23
Jesus said “repent and believe in the gospel.” Mark 1:15
Paul said “repent, turn to God, and do works befitting of repentance.” Acts 26:20
Have you repented from sin and received Jesus as your Saviour?
2. Faith toward God – having turned from sin we put our faith in God.
“Without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.” Heb.11:6
We receive faith by hearing the word of God: “So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.” Rom.10:17
We are ‘born again’ of the spirit by believing and receiving. “But as many as receive Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name.” Jn.1:12
Have you put your faith in God & are you obeying the word you have heard?
3. Baptism [being immersed in water] – to identify with Jesus in His death, burial & resurrection.
“Do you not know that as many of us as were baptised into Christ Jesus were baptised into His death? Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.” Rom.6:3-4
Peter preached baptism: “Repent, and let every one of you be baptised in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of your sins.” Acts 2:38
Those who heard the word preached, believed and were baptised. “When they believed Philip as he preached the things concerning the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, both men and women were baptised.” Acts 8:12
Have you died to your old life of sin by being baptised?
4. Laying on of Hands – for believers to receive the Holy Spirit.
Peter & John came to the believers in Samaria: “Then they laid hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit” Acts 8:17
Paul visited disciples in Ephesus. Following their baptism Paul “laid hands on them, the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke with tongues and prophesied.” Acts 19:6
Spiritual gifts received: “Therefore I remind you to stir up the gift of God which is in you through the laying on of my hands.” 2Tim.1:6
Receiving the Holy Spirit follows
repentance, faith and baptism.
Have you been empowered by receiving the Holy Spirit?
5. Resurrection of the Dead
“For if the dead do not rise, then Christ is not risen. And if Christ is not risen, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins!” 1Cor.15:16-17
* The resurrection of Jesus Christ: “Now Christ is risen from the dead, and has become the firstfriuts of those who have fallen asleep.” 1Cor.15:20
* The spiritual resurrection of those who believe in Jesus: “And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins.” Eph.2:1 & “Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him.” Rom.6:8
* The resurrection of every person: “The hour is coming when all in the graves will hear His voice and come forth; those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation.” Jn.5:28-29
Do you know Him & the power of His resurrection in your life?
6. Eternal Judgement – knowing and walking in the understanding of eternal realities: heaven or hell
“He who believes in Him [Jesus] is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.” Jn.3:18
“He who believes and is baptised will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.” Mk.16:16
“Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.” Jn.5:24
Have you chosen life instead of death?
When our foundations are in place, then we are ready to go on to maturity [perfection]
“and this we will do if God permits” Heb.6:3.